Mobile Data Gathering
While playing around with Google Fusion Tables tonight I came across the Open Data Kit (ODK).Open Data Kit (ODK) is a suite of tools to help organizations collect, aggregate and visualize their data. The project's goals are to make open-source and standards-based tools which are easy to try, easy to use, easy to modify and easy to scale.The project consists of:
- ODK Collect - ODK Collect is powerful phone based replacement for your paper forms. Collect is built on the Android
- ODK Aggregate - ODK Aggregate provides a ready to deploy online repository to store, view and export collected data. Aggregate is currently implemented on Google App Engine and enables free hosting of data on Google's reliable infrastructure.
- ODK Manage - ODK Manage maintains a database of all phones in a deployment to enable remote device management. By sending an SMS to a deployed phone, Manage can trigger the transfers of forms, data, and applications.
- ODK Validate - ODK Validate ensures that you have a OpenRosa complaint form -- one that will also work with all the ODK tools.
- ODK Voice - ODK Voice facilities mapping XForms to sound snippets that can be played over a "robo" call to any phone. Responses are collected using the phone's keypad (DTMF) and are automatically aggregated.