I have been spending time researching different aspects of cloud computing
and opportunities out there to evangelize about it.
I was researching Recovery money going to the National Science Foundation
. As of today it isn't flowing quite yet.
Then I got curious of other project funding opportunities there are with the National Science Foundation
. There are so many of them. I started looking at technology specific funding opportunities that would easily apply to cloud computing
Here are a handful of areas I found:
- CISE Cross-Cutting Programs - This solicitation seeks proposals in cross-cutting areas that are scientifically timely, and that benefit from the intellectual contributions of researchers with expertise in a number of computing fields and/or sub-fields.
- Information and Intelligent Systems - CISE's Division of Information and Intelligent Systems (IIS) supports research and education projects that develop new knowledge.
- Computer and Network Systems - CISE's Division of Computer and Network Systems (CNS) supports research and education projects that develop new knowledge.
- Computing and Communication Foundations - CISE's Division of Computing and Communication Foundations (CCF) supports research and education projects that develop new knowledge.
- Foundations of Data and Visual Analytics - Individuals working in areas as diverse as science, engineering, finance, medicine, and national security all face the challenge of synthesizing information and deriving insight from massive, dynamic, ambiguous and possibly conflicting digital data.
- Cyber-Physical Systems - The term cyber-physical systems refers to the tight conjoining of and coordination between computational and physical resources. We envision that the cyber-physical systems of tomorrow will far exceed those of today in terms of adaptability, autonomy, efficiency, functionality, reliability, safety, and usability.
- Cyber-Enabled Discovery and Innovation - Cyber-Enabled Discovery and Innovation (CDI) is NSF's bold five-year initiative to create revolutionary science and engineering research outcomes made possible by innovations and advances in computational thinking.
I see some amazing opportunities for cloud computing service providers
to partner with universities and other companies. I only listed the opportunities I had time to look through tonight, there are many more.
It would be interesting to take any of the areas above and brainstorm some ways to help evolve and advocate for cloud computing.
However the best funding opportunity I came across was this one:
- Broadening Participation in Computing - The Broadening Participation in Computing (BPC) program aims to significantly increase the number of U.S. citizens and permanent residents receiving post secondary degrees in the computing disciplines, with an emphasis on students from communities with longstanding underrepresentation in computing.
The Broadening Participation in Computing
opportunity I think has the greatest potential for evolving cloud computing. This represents why I am doing this research on cloud computing. I think cloud computing can bring some amazing opportunities to people around the country. I came from a small town and still remember the first opportunities I was given in school playing with the Apple and Tandy computers.
I could envision IPhone Application Development Programs, Social Network Development Programs, Amazon and Azure Cloud Platform Programs, and other cloud computing curriculum at Universities. Providing core and advanced training to students. With the popularity of the Iphone and Social Networks, it would be a sure way to lure people into technology and computer science programs.
Good stuff, I see some great opporunities for all out there, let's get this money flowing and put us out on top when it comes to cloud computing.