Posted on 01-17-2013
I’m a big fan of what The Guardian is doing with their data and API strategy. I think they are a model for what old media should be doing around the globe.
When they post stories, I tend to take a look, not because of the story, but their data driven approach to reporting.
A great example of this, is yesterday's helicopter crash on top of a residential building construction project in London, killing two people and injuring 13 others.
The Guardian provides not just the overview of the story with data visualizations and summary, but of course you can download the data behind.
The process is brilliant, because it rides the waves of popular stories, but also provides valuable data behind--which creates value as well as page views.
Which I think will have a greater long-tail than just page view exhaust.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- EU Companies Wanna Be Here, US Companies Wanna Be In Ireland
- Being Social Can Be About Code, Not Just Twitter or Facebook
- Secure Communication Channels Over Any Network With Telehash
- Why Are We Not Innovating On The Big Problems?
- Essential Variable in Big Data Algorithm: Transparency
- Why Guest Posting Has Gotten A Bad Rap
- It Is A Start: IRS Enables Americans To Download Tax Transcripts
- With Open Data There Is No Way To Submit Back
- Why You Are Missing All The Signals