Posted on 01-17-2013
I’m a big fan of what The Guardian is doing with their data and API strategy. I think they are a model for what old media should be doing around the globe.
When they post stories, I tend to take a look, not because of the story, but their data driven approach to reporting.
A great example of this, is yesterday's helicopter crash on top of a residential building construction project in London, killing two people and injuring 13 others.
The Guardian provides not just the overview of the story with data visualizations and summary, but of course you can download the data behind.
The process is brilliant, because it rides the waves of popular stories, but also provides valuable data behind--which creates value as well as page views.
Which I think will have a greater long-tail than just page view exhaust.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Sorry Google, Your Programming Test Is Not A Valid Measurement Of My Skills
- My Information Consumption Now Driven By Companies And People, Not Just Feeds
- All Government Should Have A Social Media Directory API
- The Color Of Money When Deploying APIs At The Department Of Veterans Affairs
- Taking Web Service Inventory At The Department of Veteran Affairs
- Replacing Legacy Systems With APIs At The Department Of Veteran Affairs
- Never Looking Out The Window, Let Alone Trusting Anyone External Of The Department of Veteran Affairs
- Why I Post Stories To My Blog(s) Like I Do
- Please Provide An Easy To Copy Logo And Description Of What You Do
- Reclaim Your Domain LA Hackathon Wrap-up