Social Budgets and Contributions
Many projects I do in my spare time are purely for the exercise and learning experience. I have been developing a tool I am calling social budgets.I am very political, but I get frustrated when I don't fully understand what is going on at a state and federal level. I like to have a deep understanding before I take action or even open my mouth.So I wanted to understand where the State of Oregon is spending their money and create a way I can voice my opinion on my priorities.So I created an Oregon Social Budget site. The next day I saw California released their budget, so I wanted to evaluate their budget and created a California Social Budget site.What did I learn?
- I learned about the ways that Oregon and California track their budget.
- How they spend and prioritize these budgets.
- I learned that even though governments are using the word "transparency", they don't actually make it any easier to get at the data.
- I learned about new agencies and commissions that operate at the state level.
- Federal Budget Priorities
- Congressional and Senator Contribution Tool